Dear Dance Families,
By now we were hoping to have some promising news as to when studios will be permitted to re-open. We understand what a set back this is for dancers and studio owners alike. We will continue to remain optimistic and positive.
By now, most of you have seen our 2021 dance syllabus. We want to remind everyone that although some of our COVID-19 strategies are outlined in the syllabus – things are still evolving. In light of the current provincial guidelines, we have made our first official change to our syllabus.
Please be aware that we are officially EXTENDING THE ENTRY DEADLINE. It is important that all independent dancers and studio owners have a reasonable amount of time to submit entries. We unfortunately do not have a specific date, but please know that we will adjust our deadlines accordingly to make this work for everyone.
At this very moment, we still plan to accommodate all live local solos to compete as provincial candidates. We will continue to support all other local and out of town entries virtually. That being said, please prepare for more possible changes.
- We may be forced to change the festival to a fully virtual competition. This decision will be made no later than Feb 1, 2021.
- If this happens, we may be forced to adjust our festival dates completely.
In the event we move to a fully virtual festival, all live local soloists will then need to submit solo entries virtually on top of whatever groups, duos and trios that are already submitted and we may be able to accommodate ALL soloists for awards and provincial placements.
We suggest that all local soloists record their solos as a back-up. If we and other dance festivals decide to run a fully virtual festival, soloists and groups will be adequately prepared. A bonus to this: all recorded entries can easily be entered at other virtual festivals through-out the province. Groups that may not have travelled may now have a chance to compete in multiple festivals!
We believe that our young artists have a unique opportunity to learn from a festival that poses a far different challenge from those before. Please know that we are committed to assist soloists that come to us independently, so they may participate, learn and take full advantage with what our 2021 dance festival has to offer. If independent dancers require assistance, please contact us. We will assist you as much as possible to ensure you are able to participate!
The goal of the Quesnel Festival of Performing Arts Society, is to provide a forum for students to perform before an experienced adjudicator in order to receive training and opportunities above and beyond what they receive in their regular studies. Our plan is to continue to work through and adapt to the challenges that are to come. We will continue to update you on how things will progress. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please so not hesitate to contact us. Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay Safe, Stay Positive,
Vicky Predan and Marcy McKay – Co-dance directors
Further information as to why the Quesnel Festival of Performing Arts has taken the direction it has:
Our festival is weeks away and we need to make a solid plan to move forward. With the unpredictability of COVID-19 we want to ensure that our festival can adapt to this pandemic.
We decided to go partially virtual so we can reduce risks and ensure that our community stays safe while still hosting a festival. A virtual option addresses all of our venue related concerns, accommodates all entries and allows us to ensure that this very festival continues.
At this time, School District 28 is NOT booking outside users groups. They are still not able to provide us with any dates as to when outside user groups will be permitted to book. They are unable to provide any guarantees.
Also, as a society, we need to move forward with decisions that make sense financially. Opening group numbers virtually ensures the safety of our community while bringing in the funds required support the festival and all of the related costs.
We are on a very tight timeline. We are unable to hold off any longer. Difficult decisions were made. In the end – we unanimously voted to proceed with a partially virtual option. We feel confident in our decision and hope that everyone can appreciate where we are coming from.
Without a theatre we cannot plan for anything more than live local solos. We simply cannot safely accommodate groups without a suitable venue.
We truly took all concerns and suggestions to heart. We know how disappointing it is that we are unable to provide a “normal” festival. We will continue to put every effort into making this festival positive and meaningful.